CALL FOR 2018 CONFERENCE WORKSHOP PROPOSALS
It’s that time of year again – time for you to submit your best idea for a workshop for our 5thNational Conference being held in Indianapolis, Indiana on October 20 – 21, 2018.
Submit your workshop proposal here!
This year we will meet in a state where public education has been systematically undermined by bad “reforms.” By pushing charters, vouchers, and online schools while defunding public schools, Betsy DeVos and her like-minded friends have tried to destroy public education in Indiana. But the people of Indiana aren’t taking it and neither are we. This year our theme is:
Our Schools, Our Democracy:
Our Fight for the Future
and we need you to make it a success by submitting your proposal for a conference workshophere.
The call for proposals begins today, February 14, and runs for four weeks, closing on March 14, 2018. No applications will be accepted after this date. Applicants will be notified if their proposal was selected or not by March 25, 2018.
Topics we hope to see addressed in proposals include:
- Fighting back against privatizations in all its forms: vouchers, charters, online schools, ESAs and tax credits.
- The different ways privatization looks in different communities. How is it affecting your school or community?
- Emerging issues: sanctuary cities/schools, social justice, resisting the DeVos/Trump agenda.
- Lack of democratic governance in schools: what it looks like/how do we restore community voice?
- Successes in the fight against privatization.
- Grassroots organizing.
- Coalitions that survive–how to work together in real and lasting ways.
- Women’s leadership in public education.
We welcome your ideas beyond this list as well. What does fighting for public education mean to you? What has worked in your community that you are ready to share with activists from around the country?
Find all the details here to start thinking about your proposal and who you’d like to present with and then get those ideas in – we’ll be waiting!
Direct link to the Conference Workshop Proposal Information and Application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SFMPBSS
Board Conference Chair